Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Red beret Christmas present for veteran Paratrooper

CHRISTMAS has come early for valiant Second World War veteran Peter Clements, who now lives in Dunster.
Mr Clements served as a Paratrooper and took part in the ill-fated Operation Market Garden - since made famous by the film A Bridge Too Far.
After being wounded and taken prisoner at Arnhem in 1944, Mr Clements had his regimental red beret and badge taken by trophy-hunting German soldiers.
Now, more than 60 years later, he has received a brand new red beret and badge thanks to West Somerset Council’s SCHIP home improvement officer Judy Ernest.
Mr Clements, a retired BT engineer, said: “I lost a lot of mates at Arnhem, but getting my beret back is like bringing a member of the family home.
“It is the best Christmas present I could ever wish for.”
The happy ending came about as Judy was overseeing home improvement work at the bungalow home of Mr Clements and his wife Shirley and he told her how he had mourned the loss of his beret for more than 60 years.
Judy said: “I was so touched by Peter’s plight that I contacted the Soldiers Sailors and Air Forces Association to see if they could help.”
SSAFA contacted the Parachute Regiment which was happy to send Mr Clements a new beret.
SSAFA case worker Richard Barron said: “SSAFA Forces Help has been delighted to help Mr Clements.
“It is really heart-warming to see the pleasure his new Para beret is giving him.
“At this time of modern conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan, we would do well to remember the sacrifices that earlier generations of soldiers, sailors, and airmen like Mr Clements made for this country and to acknowledge the debt we owe, and continue to owe, to all of our Servicemen and women.
“We are always looking for volunteer caseworkers. People wishing to make a difference to somebody’s life can view the SSAFA Forces Help website at www.ssafa.org.uk or email Pauline Homeshaw at homeshaw@btopenworld.com.”
Mr Clements recounted how he lost his beret: “I parachuted from a Dakota into Arnhem in the second wave.
“I got a German bullet in the leg and, two days later, was taken prisoner of war.
“I was taken to Stalag 11B, somewhere in Holland, I think. I would like to be more accurate but I was so annoyed, I did not much care at the time.
“One German wanted my beret and another my badge, so they just took them.
“Otherwise, they did not treat me badly. I was 19 and only just over 5 ft tall, so they thought I was a boy soldier.”
Weeks later Mr Clements was marched with other prisoners to another camp further from the advancing Allies.
He said: “I stepped off the road to answer a call of nature, and that was the last the guards saw of me.”
Mr Clements walked for weeks, evading capture and depending on the kindness of local people to direct him away from German patrols, before meeting up with the American 101st Airborne Division, in Austria.
After rest and recuperation, he was repatriated but joined another regiment and so was never issued with a new Para beret and badge.
SCHIP is the Somerset Coast Home Improvement Partnership, a partnership between West Somerset Council and Sedgemoor District Council to provide assistance, principally to people aged 60 years and older, and also to disabled people, who live in private accommodation.
It organises works of maintenance, repair, and adaptation through help with funding, designing, and arranging for work to be carried out.
Judy’s post is part-funded by West Somerset Council to deliver the service in West Somerset.
  • Our photograph shows Mr Clements donning his new beret in front of a Christmas tree at home in Dunster. Photo by Steve Guscott.

No comments: